2014 NCAA Team Championships (Video)
USC Wins Men's Title; UCLA Captures Women's Crown
usctrojans.com May 21, 2014 Athens, GA. -- The No. 1 USC men's tennis team captured the university's 100th NCAA Championship on familiar ground, sticking to their guns as the top seed for a 4-2 comeback win over No. 2 seed Oklahoma tonight in Athens, Ga.
The Trojans extended their national record of titles by fighting out of an 0-2 hole and finally capping things off on Max de Vroome's clincher on court four. The sophomore was playing in his first NCAA Championship match, but earned veteran status tonight as he finished off the Sooners, which also were making their first NCAA title match run. In the end, the Trojan experience and comfort under the lights of the Georgia courts was too much to take.
The USC men's tennis program has claimed a record 21 national championships in helping the university to this 100th all-time NCAA Championship. In all, USC has 122 national championships (22 titles have come in non-NCAA competitions). At the close of this year's tournament, the Trojans almost sweet the All-Tournament Team honors.
Yannick Hanfmann was selected at No. 1 singles, along with Ray Sarmiento (No. 2 singles), Max de Vroome (No. 4 singles), Eric Johnson (No. 5 singles) and Michael Grant (No. 6 singles). Sarmiento also was named the Tournament's Most Outstanding Player. Head coach Peter Smith is now the men's tennis program's second winningest coach, holding five NCAA Championships to follow 10 won by George Toley. The victory also capped USC's fifth NCAA Championship won in Athens, Ga. The Trojans also won titles in Georgia in 1991, 1993, 2010 and 2012 preceding this 2014 crown. Read More
UCLA Edges North Carolina for Second Title in 7 years
uclabruins.com: May 21, 2014 Athens, GA. - With UCLA's NCAA title hopes resting solely on her shoulders, sophomore Kyle McPhillips seized the moment like a true champion on Tuesday, registering the biggest victory of her young career with a three-set win at No. 3 singles to give the fifth-seeded UCLA women's tennis team a 4-3 triumph over No. 7 North Carolina at Georgia's Dan Magill Tennis Complex. The win marks the second NCAA Championship in the last seven years for the women's tennis program, which also claimed the crown in 2008. More importantly, it is the 111th NCAA Championship for UCLA, the national leader in NCAA titles. It is also UCLA's second this academic year following the Bruin women's soccer team's first-ever title in December.
With Tuesday's dual match tied at 3-3, all eyes focused on court No. 3, where McPhillips and UNC's Caroline Price were battling in a tight third set. McPhillips was able go up a break late in the set to take a 5-3 lead. Serving for the match, however, she quickly got down 0-40 and it looked as if Price would get it back on serve. But McPhillips stayed steady, chipping away at Price's lead to eventually get the game back to deuce. The two players would go back and forth the rest of the game, with McPhillips needing to fight off two more break points and Price saving three match points. Finally, on McPhillips' fourth match point, Price tried to take advantage of a short ball and followed it into the net. McPhillips responded by driving a backhand toward the middle of the court and Price put a little too much on her volley, sailing it just beyond the baseline to begin the Bruin celebration. Read More
2014 NCAA Men’s Team Championships
FINAL: 1-USC beat 2-Oklahoma 4-2
(1) #1 Hanfmann/Sarmiento (USC) vs. Alvarez/Webb (OU) - 5-6 susp.
(2) Alcorta/Harris (OU) def. Farren/Quiroz (USC) - 8-5
(3) Ghilea/Papac (OU) def. de Vroome/Johnson (USC) - 8-7 (2)
Oklahoma wins doubles point. Order of finish: 3, 2
(1) #10 Yannick Hanfmann (USC) def. #5 Guillermo Alcorta (OU) - 7-5, 6-2
(2) #9 Ray Sarmiento (USC) def. #7 Axel Alvarez (OU) - 6-4, 7-6 (4)
(3) #41 Dane Webb (OU) def. #42 Roberto Quiroz (USC) - 6-1, 6-2
(4) #91 Max de Vroome (USC) def. #53 Andrew Harris (OU) - 4-6, 6-3, 6-4
(5) Eric Johnson (USC) def. Austin Siegel (OU) - 6-1, 7-6 (2)
(6) Michael Grant (USC) vs. Alex Ghilea (OU) - 7-6 (5), 2-6, 4-2 susp.
2014 NCAA Women’s Team Championships
FINAL: 3-UCLA beat 7-North Carolina 4-3
1. #1 Anderson/Brady (UCLA) def. #3 Carter/Loeb (UNC) 8-7(3)
2. #9 Harrison/McPhillips (UCLA) def. #13 Whitney Kay/Price (UNC) 8-2
3. Courtney Dolehide/Van Nguyen (UCLA) vs. Dai/Lyons (UNC) 6-7, unf.
1. #1 Robin Anderson (UCLA) def. #2 Jamie Loeb (UNC) 6-2, 6-2
2. #5 Hayley Carter (UNC) def. #8 Jennifer Brady (UCLA) 6-2, 6-2
3. #38 Kyle McPhillips (UCLA) def. #59 Caroline Price (UNC) 6-4, 3-6, 6-3
4. #13 Chanelle Van Nguyen (UCLA) def. #105 Ashley Dai (UNC) 4-6, 6-3, 6-3
5. Kate Vialle (UNC) def. #75 Catherine Harrison (UCLA) 6-4, 6-4
6. Tessa Lyons (UNC) def. Kaitlin Ray (UCLA) 4-6, 6-4, 7-5